Ifton Meadows  Your Local Nature Reserve  

Minutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday 9th May 2017 at 7:30pm

                                    at Community Centre, St. Martins

Present: Ann Williams, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Bryan Williams, Roy Davis.

Apologies: Neil Graham.

     Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Dave and Joan Hayes, Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd, Jude Williams, Sue Worsfold, Polly Smith, Pierre Saunier, Sophie Hughes.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St. Martins website.       

Minutes. The minutes of the previous meeting were read and agreed.

New Trees. Ann shared the press cuttings published following the press release about the new planting and Tesco’s bags for help.

Information Boards. Ann went through the Tesco bags scheme which is now in operation in Ellesmere. We have not heard any more from M A Creative, but Ann will be in touch to inform him of our financial progress with the Tesco bags scheme.

Bee-friendly planting. The visit to Hunkington Nurseries has been arranged for Friday 16th June at 11am.

Green Gym. This will now be known as Work Day. At the next one we will be tackling the brambles on the Brownie Meadow.

Management Plan. Shaun has asked for topics to be included in the next plan. Discussion was wide ranging and the following ideas were included. Mowing policy. Maintenance – boundary fences and stiles, boardwalks, main footpaths, gullies and ditches. Trees – safety and care, management of the birch, some felling of tall trees to the south of the pond area. Monitoring – additional help needed. New signage for the Skylark Mound. Re-establishment of the reed bed.

Bat Walk. Ann will talk to Sue to suggest a suitable time.

Tools. We need new loppers and secateurs and Roy suggested land blades.                     

The meeting closed at 8.50pm

........................................................................................................................

Minutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday 14th March 2017 at 7:30pm

                                    at Community Centre, St. Martins

Present: Ann Williams, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Bryan Williams, Roy Davis. 

Apologies from Neil Graham.

Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Dave and Joan Hayes, Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd, Jude Williams, Sue Worsfold.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St. Martins website.

The minutes of the previous meeting were read and agreed.

New Trees. We had hoped to plant the new trees this month but there was a problem with the order. We are now waiting for the potted trees to arrive. We decided to plant one or two in the Colliery Entrance hedge and the remaining four or five at the far end of the Horse Field, near the fence. We hope to be able to interplant them with hedging plants at a later date.

Miners’ Memorial Meeting. Ann and Neil attended the meeting and were pleased to receive positive comments on the display boards of mining history.

Information Boards. Ann and Camilla reported on their meeting to progress the project. The coloured map and selection of photographs were looked at and some of the commentary considered. Ann will investigate funding before we can progress to the next stage of technical advice.

Dog poo posters. We hope that Neil will be able to put these in place as soon as he recovers from surgery.

The meeting closed at 8.30pm.

Minutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday 14th February 2017 at 7:30pm

                                    at Community Centre, St. Martins

Present: Ann Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Bryan Williams.

Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Dave and Joan Hayes, Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd, Jude Williams, Sue Worsfold, Polly Smith, Pierre Saunier, Sophie Hughes.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St. Martins website.       

Minutes. The minutes of the previous meeting were read, agreed and signed.

Green Gym. This was cancelled this month due to inclement weather.

Hi viz jackets. Ann thanked Camilla for getting these organised.

Bees. Following a link through the W.I. Ann has contacted Viv Marsh at Hunkington Nurseries. He is unable to give us a talk about bees at the moment but suggested a visit to his Nursery, where he specialises in plants that attract bees.

Miners’ Memorial Meeting. Ann and Neil will attend this meeting at the Institute which concerns the 50th anniversary of the closing of Ifton Colliery, which will take place in 2018.

New Trees. Six new trees have been ordered to help re-instate the hedge at the Colliery Entrance.

Pond area. Following a meeting with Shaun Burkey last week, when he agreed that it was beneficial for trees on the south side of a pond to be kept in check, it was decided that we will go ahead and remove excess tree growth where appropriate.

Information Boards. We looked through the box of information lent to us by Shaun and selected the pamphlet from the R. Alt Trail in Croxteth as being the one we liked best. We compared it to our own pamphlet and annotated the changes we would like to make. Ann and Camilla will work on a prototype with the aim being to provide visuals and commentary on both the natural history and the previous use of the site. These could be used to form the two sides of a new pamphlet and also enlarged to form the two information boards.

Dog poo posters. We looked through the bag of posters designed by children at the school and handed on to Shaun. We selected 2 to display on the notice boards this month and will aim to change them regularly.

The meeting closed at 8.55pm.

Minutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday 8th November 2016 at 7:30pm

   at Community Centre, St. Martins

Present: Ann Williams, Neil Graham, Camilla Olah, Bryan Williams, Roy Davis, Pierre Saunier, Sophie Hughes.     

Apologies: Elizabeth James

Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Dave and Joan Hayes, Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd, Jude Williams, Sue Worsfold, Polly Smith, Pierre Saunier, Sophie Hughes.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St. Martins website.    

Minutes. The minutes were read and agreed.

Update. 60 children from Year 8 of St. Martins School visited the site on Monday 7th. Bryan reported on an accident to a dog involving loose barbed wire at the base of the gabions. He has removed the offending wire. Neil reported that he had uploaded pictures of the Dingle onto our facebook page. Also, he had accosted some young people who had been moving the picnic benches late one evening.

Daffodils. It is now too late to plant them this year. We need to start earlier next year.

Three Parishes Meeting. Neil and Sophie reported that this had been well attended. The next meeting will be in St. Martins.

Jobs on the Meadows. At Sunday’s green gym both channels through the pond area were dug out, making them deeper and wider. The side pond was also deepened. A number of trees were identified which could be cleared to let in more sunlight. Neil will contact Shaun and confirm which trees should be modified. Next month we will work on either ditches or hedges, depending on the weather.

Hi Viz Jackets. Camilla had searched the shed for our existing supply, but could only find two. Ann decided that we should get some more so that we have a dozen.

Wheeled Strimmer. Ann had seen an advert for a wheeled strimmer, which would be useful for clearing paths. She will talk to Shaun about it.

Christmas Meal. After due discussion and perusal of menus it was decided to go to the White Lion at Wittington. Ann will book for Tuesday 13th December at 7 for 7.30pm.

Possible Improvements. It was suggested that a “Local Nature Reserve” notice could be placed at the colliery entrance. Sophie suggested the provision of a bird hide and various temporary structures were discussed.

Lantern making materials. Mary Lewry had approached Ann about acquiring any of our leftover materials. We agreed to sell the paper.

The meeting closed at 8.40pm. 

Minutes of the IMMC AGM  held on Tuesday 11th October 2016 at 7:30pm

                                   at Community Centre, St. Martins

Present: Ann Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Bryan Williams, Roy Davis, Polly Smith.    

Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Gareth Eggar, Dave and Joan Hayes, Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd, Sue Worsfold, Polly Smith.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St. Martins website.     

Minutes. The minutes of the September meeting were read. Following the review of the Party on the Meadows thanks had been sent to Steve Davenport and the Brownies for their financial donations, the Chapel for the loan of their tables and the 1st Responders for their support. Ann reported that she had written to the Wildlife Trust to withdraw our application. The Village Show was quiet this year but we did receive some money from the sale of refreshments. The minutes were agreed and signed

AGM. The Chairman’s report was distributed and approved. The Treasurer’s report was given and the accounts accepted. The election of officers followed.

Chair               Ann Williams              proposed by Camilla              seconded by Bryan

Vice Chair        Neil Graham                proposed by Ann                     seconded by Roy

Treasurer        Elizabeth James          proposed by Bryan                 seconded by Roy

Secretary         Camilla Olah               proposed by Neil                    seconded by Elizabeth

All officers were elected unopposed.

Three Parishes Community Wildlife Group. Polly Smith explained her promotion of the group, which would encompass all the wildlife areas in the parishes of St Martins, Weston Rhyn, Gobowen and also Selattyn. She hopes to encourage greater interest in our local wildlife and record it through monitoring across the area. She had worked on a similar scheme in the Clun area and has a number of contacts among naturalists. She distributed publicity for an inaugural meeting to be held at Weston Rhyn Institute on November 3rd at 7.00pm.

Jobs on the Meadows. At the last green gym we worked on the ditch at the side of the main path, removing the saplings and clearing the drainage pipes. Jobs for the future include pond clearance, removing the trees from the reed bed, widening the lower pathway, trimming the layered hedge, clearing the scrub from the skylark mound, checking ditches, clearing the bramble cuttings and the grass mowings from the site and managing the trees in the birch field. It was suggested that the Scouts might be able to help with some of these.

Railway Field. Someone has been felling the tree growth. Neil has photographic evidence of the result but we do not know who was responsible for it. (Subsequently we discovered that the trees were cut by a group from Ellesmere College, with permission from Shaun. Neil will oversee any work done by them in the future)

Spring Bulbs. Neil suggested planting more daffodil bulbs. Roy suggested a future event celebrating the show of snowdrops.

Volunteer Jackets. We raised again the question of the Meadows hi-vis jackets. We decided that the wording should be MEADOWS VOLUNTEER. Camilla will get the jackets printed in black.

The meeting closed at 9.00pm.

********************************************************************************************

It has been some time since we held any events and those have been in an evening i.e. Lantern Parades. So this was something different for us, a Nature/History day to mark the return of the 'Horse Field' to the site in April. This area will now be the events and picnic area - 2 picnic tables are already in place. Since April the field has been left as a meadow. This enabled monitoring of any flowers that might be growing in it. Cutting took place in September this allowing seeds to drop and self set for next year.

The 'Party at the Meadows' on the 10th September started cloudy with a few spots of rain but by the afternoon the sun came out in all its glory and we had a lovely warm afternoon.

At first we had difficulty with the jigsaws that where the gazebo's. If it is your own you know exactly how it fits together but otherwise it can cause a few problems. The Barbecue was busy as was the Brownies tea/cake stand.  The Brownies also had a workshop making insect houses. St.Martins WI promoted themselves and the WI 'SOS for bees' campaign. Scouts had a coconut shy, The 3 Parish's Big Local gave away freebees and we supplied information of the History of the site and Ifton Colliery, along with Nature activities. The Bug sweeps with nets proved a very popular activity. We showed how to use nets to sweep the grass or trees then put the collected insects into magnifying boxes to identify. Lots of people had a go and found 10 different species including 7 spotted ladybirds and crickets. We even had Paul Silver (entertainer) on stilts with a net.

Unfortunately, some groups did not come so we were down on stands but I hope everyone who did attend had a good day.

How do you decide on how many people attended ?  We had a slow start but after 2 p.m. there was a steady stream of people coming through so I would say 70 plus but that is only a guess.

Our thanks to the 3 Parish Big Local for supporting this event with a grant towards the costs.

Thanks must go to everyone who manned the stalls or came along to support this event. (If I have forgotten anyone please forgive me).

Just in time for our event Shropshire Council removed the dog leg and bridle gate at the Colliery entrance and erected a new fence which gives us a few extra car parking places. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday 14th June 2016 at 7:30pm

                            at Community Centre, St. Martins

Present: Ann Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Bryan Williams, Roy Davis, Steve Davenport.    

Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Dave and Joan Hayes, Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd, Jude Williams, Sue Worsfold.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St. Martins website.   

The Future. Councillor Steve Davenport was able to allay our fears to some extent as it appears that Shropshire Council will want to maintain ultimate responsibility for the site and safeguard it for the future. However, Council responsibilities are still up in the air and there will be further discussions before the end of July. Clare and Corrie would like to attend an IMMC meeting and suggested July. As two members of the committee will be unable to attend at that point, further arrangements will have to be negotiated.

Dog Fouling. Steve has contacted the Kingdom Company from Liverpool but has not yet had a response. Steve recommended that all the no-fouling signs in St Martins, both in the village and on the Meadows, should be of the same design.

Tools. Following Shaun’s offer to supply tools, a list was begun. Loppers and secateurs were the most requested with thorn-proof gloves and saw blades also needed.

LNR Accreditation. Ann has been in touch with Lorna Williams at Shropshire Council about incorporating the Railway Field and the Horse Field. She has passed the matter back to Shaun.

Management Plan. It was agreed that the management plan needs reviewing and up-dating. We may need an extra meeting to achieve this.

10yr Celebration. Much discussion ensued about what to do and when to do it. It was agreed that any event should concentrate on Nature and the time of 1 – 5pm on Saturday 10th September was put forward. It was felt that gazeboes would be easier to manage than the big marquee. Ideas abounded, including a hog roast, dancers, maypole, games, stalls, orienteering, bouncy castle, face painting, ladybird lotto and wellie wanging. Toilets would need to be arranged and insurance investigated.

The Horse Field. An initial assessment of the floral diversity of the area was undertaken at the green gym. It transpired that the western (ditch side) of the field is generally the wettest part, with patches of reeds growing, especially by the present site of the picnic tables. The eastern (orchard side) has the most flowers with ox-eye daisies, bird’s foot trefoil and some common orchids. Some of the trees cut down along the line of the former fence are starting to re-grow. Neil pointed out that the hedge by the road needs a major cut-back.

Hi viz Jackets. Camilla is waiting for the Volunteer Ranger T-shirts to come from Shaun before getting the jackets printed with similar wording.

The meeting closed at 9.15pm

_______________________________________________________________

Minutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday 12th May 2016 at 7:30pm                                          at Community Centre, St. Martins

Present: Ann Williams Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Bryan Williams, Roy Davis, Shaun Burkey, Jude Williams, Sue Boyle.  

Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Dave and Joan Hayes, Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd, Jude Williams, Sue Worsfold.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St. Martins website. 

We were pleased that Shaun was able to attend the meeting which comprised a wide ranging discussion including the following topics.

The Skylark Mound. Shaun justified his decision to mow the whole of the skylark mound last autumn. He explained that the grass had not been cut enough in the past and that we would look at it again in the summer and work out a regime for the future.

The Path. Shaun has now arranged for further work to be done on spreading the new surface. Neil reported that some work had already started.

The Scrape. The work was originally scheduled to be done by the Probation Trust but this proved unsatisfactory. Shaun has now arranged a contractor and we anticipate a satisfactory outcome.

Communication. Neil asked if Shaun could copy to Ann details of further contracts for work on the Meadows, with a view to IMMC being on site to liaise if necessary.

Dog Fouling. Shaun reported that the Kingdom Company from Liverpool have been having success in reducing the amount of dog fouling in Wrexham through the administration of fines. Ann will get in touch with them to see if a similar scheme would be suitable for the Meadows.

LNR Accreditation. Shaun advised Ann to get in touch with Lorna Williams at Shropshire Council to update the official Ifton Meadows map so that it can be sent to Natural England, and the Horse Field and Railway Field can be fully incorporated into the LNR. Shaun suggested that IMMC might move towards Higher Level Stewardship.

The Future. Shaun explained that he is fully stretched at the moment with a large number of sites to manage. He hopes that some of the smaller sites will soon come under the control of parish councils, which may give him more time to concentrate on the larger sites such as Ifton Meadows.

The Horse Field. The work done by the Probation Trust at the main entrance end of the Horse Field was deplored. They were asked to remove the fence but overstepped their brief and removed all the trees and bushes as well. Neil asked if Shaun could provide new planting for this area and it was agreed that we would submit a list with a view to replanting in the autumn. Shaun spoke of the potential floral diversity of the Horse Field and suggested managing the area so that there are floral areas with grassy walkways around them. IMMC need to survey the field so that we can mark the areas of floral interest and then Shaun will send in a contractor to create the walkways.

Bulbs, Tools etc. Shaun can get more wildflower bulbs if required and also has a number of tools available. He needs a list of our requirements. He also has a moth trap which we could borrow.

Hi viz Jackets. Camilla reported that our existing jackets could be printed in Oswestry at a cost of about £2.00 each. Shaun offered to get us Volunteer Ranger T-shirts and the jackets could then be printed with similar wording.

10 Year Celebration. Ann suggested that we hold an event later in the summer to celebrate 10 years of the LNR. Activities could include an entertainer, dancers and a picnic.

Green Gym. This month’s green gym focussed on the lower path and the butterfly scallops, together with more forceful notices for the Skylark Mound.

Miscellaneous. Shaun suggested that we leave the birch field as it is for the moment. Ann reported that Reed bed by the Pen y banc gate is becoming overgrown and asked Shaun to have a look at it. Ann then showed Shaun some of our articles written for Village Life. He asked if they could be forwarded to him in the future so that he could distribute them more widely.

The meeting closed at 9.30 pm.

Minutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday 8th March at 7.30pm

The Committee send their best wishes to Neil for his ongoing recovery.

Scrape and Path. The stone for the pathway  has not been spread as the appointed work force apparently found the work heavier than expected and the degree of dog fouling made it unacceptable. A trial shallow trench  has been dug for the scrape but it seems to be nearer the main path than anticipated. It is discouraging that these two long awaited projects have not yet been brought to fruition by Shropshire Council.

The Future. We were pleased that Shropshire Councillor Steve Davenport attended the meeting. He said that the County’s parks and Ifton Meadows will probably maintain their current support. He will keep monitoring the situation and raise the profile of Ifton Meadows at upcoming meetings. He informed us that Shropshire Council have applied to the Government to be considered a special case for funding as the cut-backs are so severe that basic services are threatened. A meeting to further this request has been arranged for next month and Steve will keep us updated as to its outcome.

Green Gym. As the sap is now rising in the birch trees, we transferred our efforts to the brambles in the Brownie Meadow. A concerted effort made a tremendous difference and we were pleased with the results.

Miscellaneous. Ann displayed the red dots in the fungi book. This project has been more time consuming than anticipated. The daffodils by the entrance are now in flower. As we have no information about the timing of the work on the re-designed entrance and the access to the horse field we decided to leave the daffodils where they are for the time being. Similarly, the ladybird bingo and celebration of the solution to the horse field question cannot yet be carried forward.

LNR Accreditation. We need the railway field and the horse field formally incorporated into the LNR. We look to Shropshire Council to expedite this now that the lease on the horse field has run out.

Dog Fouling. The emotive subject of dog fouling was again discussed. Jude reported that in Wrexham a private company has been hired to catch offenders and has been issuing £70 fines to owners. She also spoke forcefully about the rudeness of some people on the Meadows when they are reminded of their obligations. Steve felt that we had been being too polite and should become more forceful. To this end it was agreed to investigate the replacement of the current notices with something more hard hitting and acquire wording to put on our high vis jackets to give us a badge of authority when on the Meadows. Camilla will investigate the practicality and costs of this. Steve will talk to Shaun about the possibility of extra bins for dog waste. In addition, we will put notices on the boards stating that fouling is illegal and will result in fines. We will add a reminder that from 6th April 2016 all dogs must be micro-chipped or the owner will face a £500 fine.

Voluntary Hours. Ann announced that the voluntary hours added up to 429 last year. She will include this figure in her annual report to the Parish Council.

at Community Centre, St. Martins

Present:  Ann Williams, Neil Graham, Camilla Olah, Bryan Williams, Sue Boyle Jude Williams.  

Apologies  Elizabeth James.

Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Gareth Eggar, Dave and Joan Hayes,  Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd,  Sue Worsfold.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St.Martins website.      

Minutes. The minutes of last month’s meeting were agreed and signed.

Drainage Rods. These have now been purchased, as agreed.

Scrape and Path. Work on these should have started this week but has been delayed due to the weather.

The Future. Ann has written to Owen Paterson explaining our concerns. Shaun thinks that the cutbacks will not affect Ifton Meadows. 

Birch Trees. An article about  birch trees has been submitted to Village Life. We will work on pruning them at the next green gym.

Ladybird Bingo. Ann has further information about this scheme. It was agreed that it is a possible idea for a community activity in the summer.

Red spots. Camilla provided these for use in recording identified species of fungi in our fungi book.

Daffodils. The daffodils are not yet in evidence. We will watch for them coming through by the gate so that we can move them to a more appropriate site.

Dog Fouling. Two members of the community came to the meeting to complain about dog fouling on the Meadows. This is a continuing problem. Not only is it unsightly and unpleasant, with unwanted effects on the soils but some residents are finding that their dogs are developing gastro-enteritis after walks on the Meadows. Neil suggested another poster campaign and Jude offered to confirm the facts with the vet who has been treating her dog. Jude will communicate her investigations to Ann who will draw up an A3 poster.

The meeting closed at 8.30pm.

                             at Community Centre, St. Martins

Present: Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Roy Davis.  

Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Gareth Eggar, Dave and Joan Hayes, Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd, Sue Worsfold.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St.Martins website.  

Minutes. The minutes of last month’s meeting were read and agreed.

Green Gym. Our work in November to dig another channel through the pond area was well timed and there has been no flooding despite the persistent heavy rain. This month, while one group worked on the Pen-y-Banc hedge, others coppiced the growth on one side of the pond area. This will let more light in and reduce the amount of leaves falling into the water.

Drainage Rods. Neil will follow up on this and buy some so that we can maintain the drainage pipes in the Dingle.

The Scrape. Shaun has revived the plan to create a wetland scrape near the events area. The meeting was in support of the idea but were concerned about the precise location. Neil and Roy will assess the precise position and report to Shaun.

Path to the Mosaic. Shaun has planned work to improve the path to the mosaic. A firmer, smoother path of well compressed material should make wheelchair and pushchair access more practicable.

Apologies from Ann and Bryan Williams

Horse Field. The lease on part of the field will end shortly and after April 1st the main part of the field will become incorporated into the Meadows. Shaun has got some picnic tables to go into it and plans for the fencing and gateway.

Free Trees. The trees we were expecting from the parish Council have not yet materialised. Neil will follow it up.

Wish List. If any money becomes availablewe would like to improve the colliery entrance and parking, establish a community orchard in the horse field and manage the birch trees in the Birch Field.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

Sunday 27th July, 2014 which included several games of 'boules'

                                                

..................................................................................................................................................................

Devastated !

Saturday, 2nd November 2013:

Everything was going to plan. A superb team of volunteers turned up at 10am to help erect the marquees, the lanterns were being sorted, the wind and rain eased and the sun came out. Then disaster struck.

A sudden gust of wind lifted the marquee, snapping one of the strops and pulling other pegs out of the ground, then smashed it all down into a frenzied heap of billowing canvas and bent poles. Swift action tamed the billowing canvas and team effort saved most of the lanterns, placing them into vehicles before the second marquee - still partly standing but with several bent poles – was grounded and dismantled for safety.

Then began the long and dispiriting task of clearing up the mess and transporting everything back to the shelter of the Community Centre. At 2pm the team were able to disperse for a meal break and to start the publicity of cancellation of the event. An hour later the team reassembled for a couple of hours of cleaning and further sorting out, as well as placing notices around the village, and  later, to check at the Colliery Entrance for anyone who may have missed the news of the cancellation.

           

Diary Date     2013 Lantern Parade

The 2013 Lantern Parade will be held on Saturday 2nd November. Free workshops' dates will be held at St Martins Centre on Saturday 26th and Wednesday 30th October.

Workshops will run between 11am and 5pm . Since lanterns take at least one hour to make, the last start time of the day will be 4pm.

We will need help both from our regular volunteers and hopefully some new ones.

Can you help? Please e-mail iftonmeadows@btinternet.com

+++++

The nature reserve can be easily found by following the brown signs from the centre of the village. It is closely linked to the history of the village. click here to read more.  and is supported by a group of local people.

  



      Known as the Friends of Ifton Meadows, this small group arrange events during the year, including The Lantern Parade. Green Gyms are held each month and are working sessions designed to maintain the site, its paths and habitats. The full calendar of tasks for 2013 Green Gyms can be seen here.  Tasks 2013. 

      Anyone wishing to join us should meet at the Main Colliery Entrance at 1.30pm on the second Sunday of all months except December and January.

A regular monthly meeting is held in St Martins Community Centre on the second Tuesday of each month except December. Guests are very welcome.


A request from The Friends of Ifton Meadows

Do you take pictures at Ifton Meadows and would you be happy to share them with others? Someone is always on the nature reserve. Your photographs could help us to find out what Flora and Fauna is on the site. Email them to iftonmeadows@btinternet.com  (this is not checked every day so please be patient, we will reply.) with your name and date/month the picture was taken. This is so that we can credit you with the pictures and record them officially on the survey sheets.

Minutes of previous meetings.   

August 2013July 2013June 2013
                  

 Click below for our Chairperson's Annual Reports

2011-20122010-20112009-2010

 Minutes. The minutes of the last meeting were agreed and reviewed as follows.
Minutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday  9th February 2016 at 7.30pmMinutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday 12th January 2016 at 7:30pm

                                    at Community Centre, St. Martins

Present: Ann Williams, Neil Graham. Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Bryan Williams, Roy Davis .

     Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Gareth Eggar, Dave and Joan Hayes,  Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd,  Sue Worsfold.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St. Martins website.        

Minutes. The minutes of last month’s meeting were read and agreed.

Pond. Water is continuing to flow well but silt is beginning to build up behind the rocks. Further work will be required when water levels eventually drop.

Drainage rods. Neil has been looking on-line. It was decided that a middle range set of rods, priced at £20 – 30, with a bag, would be appropriate.

The Scrape. Roy and Neil have had a look at the proposed site independently. Roy had drawn a sketch map of the suggested area and pointed out that the scrape would need to be 2 feet deep to prevent damage to wildlife by freezing. Neil reminded us that much of the events field was once hard standing. A site to the far side of the ditch would therefore be preferable, unless investigation proved that the old concrete pads had not extended to the back of the area. Ann will e-mail Shaun to get in touch with Neil.

The Path. The stone for the path has not yet arrived and there are therefore no signs of the agreed improvement to the surface of the route to the mosaic. Ann will include a query about this in her e-mail to Shaun.

Horse Field. A new gate has been installed from the section of the field which has been sold, into the road. This addresses our concerns that access to the said land could be across the public space, and was welcomed.

The Future. With the current economic climate and the massive cut-backs in spending faced by Shropshire Council, concerns were raised as to our future support. Rumours are rife but it appears that nothing is yet settled. Roy voiced a number of concerns as to the way the situation is being handled and outlined a communication he intends to send to Steve Davenport. Ann will also write to Steve Davenport and Owen Paterson, outlining our concerns for the future of the Nature Reserve and its management.

Birch Trees. Roy queried the management of the birch trees in the Birch Field. Previously we were advised that we should remove the less vigorous growth and leave a few mature trees. Roy felt that this would encourage even more saplings from the seeds of the mature specimens and suggested a system of ring-barking the larger trees. We will survey the trees in the field at the next green gym.

Other Business. Ann suggested a ladybird bingo event where groups identify different types of ladybird.  Roy suggested putting red dots on the pictures in the mushroom book to show which species have been found on the Meadows.  Ann suggested moving the daffodils which were planted by the colliery entrance to somewhere near the pond. This would save them being damaged by any work to improve the entrance,

The meeting closed at 9.00pm.

...................................................................................................................................................................................................

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

                                   At Ash Cottage, Pentre.

Present: Ann Williams, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah ,Bryan Williams, Roy Davis, Jude Williams, Steve Davenport.    

Apologies  Neil Graham

Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Dave and Joan Hayes, Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd, Jude Williams, Sue Worsfold.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St. Martins website.       

..........................................................................................................................
Minutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday 12th April 2016 at 7:30pm

Minutes of the IMMC meeting held on Tuesday 13

7:30pm

at Community Centre, St. Martins

13th September 2016 

Present: Ann Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Bryan Williams

Circulation: Ann and Bryan Williams, Neil Graham, Elizabeth James, Camilla Olah, Shaun Burkey, Mark Blount, Steve Davenport, Colin and Margaret Chapman, Roy Davis, Dave and Joan Hayes, Hilary Richards, Claire Ford, Heather Lloyd, Jude Williams, Sue Worsfold.The Green Gym forward to November 6th.

Copy e-mailed to Sue Schofield for inclusion on the St. Martins website.

The minutes detailing arrangements for the Party on the Meadows were taken as read.

Review of Event. The committee felt that the low key event went well. Particular praise was  expressed for the entertainer Mr Silver, who held groups of children entranced. We were  grateful for fine weather and the nature activities went well. The history boards attracted attention, some visitors being unaware that the Nature Reserve is on the site of an old mine. The re-alignment of the entrance provided improved parking. We were grateful for the generous financial contributions from the barbecue and the drinks stalls and the tombola proved popular. However, some of the expected groups did not attend. Outgoings included toilet hire, Mr Silver, insurance, prizes, room hire for planning meetings and donations for the table hire and first aid on site. Ann has put some photos on the website and Facebook.

Jobs on the Meadows. Ann has identified a number of jobs for which we need help. These include widening the lower pathway, clearing ditches and drains, work on the pond and the reed bed and cutting back brambles. Also the horse field needs rolling.

Scouts. The Scouts have expressed an interest in having a working week-end camp on the Meadows This would get some jobs done as well as involving local youth on the site. The ultimate decision will rest with Shaun Burkey.

Shropshire Wildlife Trust. Ann has received the paperwork to join this group. However, we agreed that the financial ties are inappropriate for us, so Ann will withdraw our application.

November Green Gym. This falls on Remembrance Day so it was agreed to bring the date ofT

Village Show. We will meet at the Centre at 11.30 to set up refreshments and lunches for the

judges.

The meeting closed at 8.45pm.

##################################################################################################



Party at the Meadows